Tuesday 30 April 2013

Frost and Flower shows and everything in between

The British weather is bonkers for sure and in my new job as head gardener I have now become obsessed with it.. having planted out lots of my home grow little perennials I was horrified to then discover that we were due FROST!!!!!!! Not good and as I was away for the weekend steps had to be taken to protect my little leafy babies.

This is where my obsessive saving of anything I deem useful has truly come into its own.. bring out the excessive amount of bubble wrap I have saved.. all chicken protection was wrapped up and it seems that it may well have worked (touch wood)..







I have been concentrating on weeding the flower beds this week though it seems that as fast as I go new weeds springing up.. meanies.. but hopefully all the plants will be up and growing shortly and will disguise them :-) Weeding is one hell of a dull task for sure.. ground covering plants is the way to go me thinks! Its much more fun setting fire to things in the woodland and clearing all of that though its a slow process its nice to be able to see more or less instant results on the patch you are doing. 

I have been away for the weekend and whilst I always miss the house and garden, Mr Waen and the furry and feathery people I had a brilliant time. Got to see chums in Leeds, do a bit of work, have a nice lunch and dinner and then off to Darlington, on Saturday had the afternoon with my lovely God son and his Mammy and then off for a girls night out :-) and then on Sunday.... was the Harrogate Flower Show with my Mam..  Brilliant.. we had posh tickets that came with afternoon tea and parking in the blue car park.. which very handily is 10 paces away from the gate (handy for unloading our purchases). It was great to be able to talk to people about what plants I can grow in our various different patches of mad soil.. from clay to brick to actually not too bad and to get some ideas of what  to do around the garden.. 

check out this display.. a DANCETTE at the front.. hmmm I wonder

I reckon Mr W's Dancettte could be a feature 

Shaun in flower form.

Nephew of mine.. a picture for you which Nana told me to take...Spiderman 

and one for you Niece of mine.. Rapunzel in flowers 


Love these benches you can have any words added.. 

a living room in plants and flowers.. 

The scarecrow family on the grass couch 


behind the grass TV is a wire BARRY!!!!

afternoon tea.. by which point we needed a seat

YUM

My plant stash.. brilliant.. :-)


A brilliant giant carrot planter. 

It was a truly brilliant day and topped off when I got home by the fact that the E-bay welsh dresser had arrived and here it is with the new dinner service on.. though not all of it would fit! It fits perfectly in the space we planned for it.. it needs a bit of sanding down and waxing but that's a post holiday task.. all in all a bit of a bargain :-)


As is always the case though there is generally something odd happening here and on Sunday evening it was the wriggly worm coming out of the bath tap.. that was a new thing!

tap worm.. eurgh!








No comments:

Post a Comment